Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Radio Desk

Radio Desk

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO TACKLE UNEMPLOYMENT

Published in NEWS July 03 2018 0 Tagged under

 

 

The Federal Government has admitted that the rate of unemployment among Nigerian youth is serious and is being addressed.

 

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige also said efforts by government to reverse trend has received a further boost.

 

Senator Ngige gave this indication during the sealing of a partnership with the African Development Bank on a programme designed for youth employment and skills development in Nigeria.

 

The Minister said young people constitute a larger proportion of Nigeria’s population; stressing the need to determine how many of them are fully employed, underemployed or unemployed


BUHARI RETURNS TO NIGERIA

Published in NEWS July 03 2018 0

President Muhammadu Buhari has returned to Abuja after attending the 31st Session of the African Union Summit in Mauritania.

 

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, confirmed the return of President Buhari in a post on his Facebook page.

 

Before returning home; President BUHARI also held bilateral meetings with the President of Rwanda, Paul Kagame and the President of France, Emmanuel Macron.

 

Another sideline meeting attended by President Buhari was with President Mohammed Ould Abdel Aziz of Mauritania.

 

Earlier, the Nigerian leader delivered introductory remarks on the debate of the African Anti-Corruption Year, which was held in Nouakchott, on Sunday.

 

President Buhari used the opportunity to call on all member states of the African Union to take all necessary measures to ratify the African Union Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption.

 

He recalled that corrosive effect that corruption can have on societies was highlighted at the meeting of the African Union Peace and Security Council chaired by Nigeria in April this year, during which participants considered the link between corruption and conflict and its implications for peace and security in Africa.

 

In line with the commemoration of the African Anti-Corruption Year, President BUHARI said he plans to convene the African Youth Congress in Abuja within the next quarter, and would also be working with the African Union to organize an interactive dialogue on the theme at the next session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.


Twelve boys and their football coach who were declared missing in caves in Thailand have been found alive after nine days.

 

The regional governor Narongsak Osottanakorn who confirmed the report after a mammoth search operation in the Tham Luang caves in Chiang Rai said all of them are safe.

 

He said they were discovered by naval Special Forces.

 

The Governor however noted that the challenge will now be to extract the party safely, with rising water and mud impeding access.

 

Rescuers had hoped they would find safety on a mound in an underground chamber.

 

The boys aged eleven to sixteen and their coach went to explore the caves on June 23.

 

 



The death toll from the tanker explosion which occurred last week in Lagos has risen to twelve.

 

The State Commissioner for Health, Jide Idris told newsmen  that  ten bodies were recovered from the scene of the incident as opposed to the nine initially reported.

 

The tenth body recovered was that of an infant, while two of the seven survivors later died in the hospital.

 

The Commissioner added that others injured victims are responding to treatment.

 

However; the Lagos State Government is finalizing plans to prosecute the owner and driver of the fuel tanker that exploded along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on Thursday last week.

 

Commissioner of Police in the state, Imohimi Edgal disclosed this while briefing newsmen at the end of the Security Council Meeting chaired by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.

 

The state’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Adeniji Kazeem, had written to the police commissioner at the weekend, to advise him on the relevant provisions of the law that could guide the on-going investigation that would lead to possible prosecution.

 

Edgal who confirmed receipt of the letter said investigations into the incident were on-going, adding that government would not allow vehicles that pose a serious danger to residents on the road.

 

The Police Commissioner also commiserated with those who lost their loved ones to the tragic incident and commended emergency responders who quickly raced to the scene to keep the causality figure low.

 


 

The Lagos State Government is preparing to host the President of France, Emmanuel Macron, has ordered restriction of vehicular movement in parts of Ikeja, Alausa and Agidingbi.

 

The movement restriction, which is billed to be enforced on Tuesday, is to make way for the French President to attend an event at the Afrika Shrine run by afro beat maestro, Femi Kuti, which is located in the area.

 

The Lagos State Government has also announced restriction of petrol tankers designated route in the state, following the fire disaster that claimed the life of nine people and destroyed fifty-six vehicles on Otedola Bridges, near Berger bus-stop on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway last week.

 


 

There are indications that Nigerian security agencies are investigating media reports on the recent killings in Plateau State with a view to stem possible retaliatory attacks.

 

An unnamed security source cited by PR-Nigeria reportedly disclosed that the all-inclusive investigations would attempt to unravel the remote causes of what has been dubbed ethno-religious conflict and purported misleading reportage, with a view to determining the connection between both.

 

Meanwhile; it has been confirmed that at least four persons who were caught in the Plateau violence while on transit last Sunday are still missing.

 

The reported missing persons, who were allegedly abducted around Barkin Ladi, include a final year student of the University of Maiduguri and another final year student of School of Health technology, Bauchi.


The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP, has asked the Federal Government not to share the sum of three hundred and fifty-million dollars repatriated loot of late military dictator, General Sani Abacha, which translate to about one hundred and fifteen billion naira.

 

SERAP said the plan by government to share the money among an estimated three hundred thousand households, at the rate of fourteen dollars each, would not bring any tangible benefits to the people.

 

The civil society group said the federal authorities have a legal obligation under the United Nations Convention to ensure that the returned Abacha Loot is properly and efficiently used; both as a tool of justice to victims of corruption and to break the cycle of grand corruption.

 


Finance and Logistics Chief of Islamic State, ISIS, Abu Obaida has been killed in a joint Peshmerga and US-led coalition raid.

 

The Head of Peshmerga forces in Makhmour, Sirwan Barzani disclosed this to the media.

 

Barzani said the coalition forces killed two more ISIS members around Mount Qarachogh.

 

Peshmerga forces carried out the raids in coordination with US-led coalition warplanes to trace the whereabouts of ISIS remnants around Mount Qarachogh.


 

 All five African teams have crashed out of the group stage of the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament in Russia.

 

The last to leave the tournament are Senegal, who lost against Colombia one-nil in their last Group H match played yesterday.

 

However; Senegal finished with equal points and goal tally with Japan, but were eliminate based on FIFA’s fair play rule, having picked up more Yellow cards than Japan.

 

The President of Egypt Football Association, Hany Abo Rida, says the Ramadan fasting affected the Pharaoh's preparations for the World Cup in Russia.

 

Rida said his squad chose to fast during the Muslim holy month that ended the day before Egypt's opening game against Uruguay, as well as the subsequent ties with the hosts Russia and Saudi Arabia.


European Union leaders have reached an agreement on migration after nearly ten hours of talks at a summit in Brussels.

 

This comes after Italy, which serves as the entry point of thousands of migrants, mainly from Africa, had threatened to veto the conclusions of the entire agenda if it did not receive help on the issue.

 

Reports say talks continued into the early hours of this morning before a compromise was reached, with EU leaders resolving that new migrant centres could be set up in EU countries on a voluntary basis.


Subscribe to Newsletter

Recent Twitter Posts

Facebook