Monday, June 18, 2018

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has dismissed claims that one of its operatives, Abubakar  Madaki was involved in four-million naira alleged extortion.

 

Reports in some national dailies had claimed that MADAKI acted as an aide to EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, but the spokesman for the anti-graft agency, Wilson Uwujaren, said that was not true.

 

Madaki is alleged to have obtained the sum of four million naira in a bid to secure bail for one Abdulhamid Mahmud Zari, who is being investigated by the agency for alleged money laundering.

 

However; the EFCC spokesman said there was no truth in the media report, which he said was contrived to malign and impugn the reputation of Madaki.

 

Wilson Uwujaren noted that as an operative of EFCC, Madaki has handled several high profile investigations without blemish.

 

 

Uwujaren claimed that the damning publication was part of a vengeful script by Zari and his cohorts to impugn the integrity of EFCC agent and bring him to public ridicule.

Published in World News

 

President Muhmmadu Buhari and the King of Morocco have reportedly signed a joint declaration on the onshore and offshore gas pipeline deal.

 

Reuters news agency quoted the Moroccan state news agency reporting that the declaration marks a step forward on the implementation of an agreement reached in December, 2016.

 

The project is under the supervision of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, and Morocco’s National Office of Hydrocarbons and Mines.

 

The gas pipeline project, for which feasibility studies had already been done, will stretch over a distance of five thousand, six hundred and sixty kilometers, and executed in phases over a period of twenty-five years.

 

The next step is the launch a front-end engineering design by Nigeria and Morocco, which would also involve countries that will be crossed by the pipeline in the Economic Community of West African States, and to determine the amount of gas available for export to European off-takers.

 

The joint declaration further stated that the next phase also provides for assessing the financial cost and seeking funding from development banks.

 

The report further disclosed that Nigeria and Cameroon have also signed a cooperation agreement on agricultural vocational training.

Published in World News

The Presidency has said President Muhammadu Buhari has not been in the good books of the country’s elite because of his performance in office.

 

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, stated this in an opinion titled “June 12 tsunami and the ones who won’t forgive Buhari” made available to newsmen in Abuja.

 

Although SHEHU did not mention names, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has been in the forefront of the ‘anti-Buhari’ campaign, asking the President not to seek re-election over alleged non-performance.

 

Shehu said the unnamed elite ganging up against Buhari knew that they would lose once corruption-free governance was put in place and economic growth was guaranteed as the President was doing.

Published in World News

GRAND MASTER COMES TO NIGERIA

Wednesday, 06 June 2018 08:44

Seven years after his maiden visit to Nigeria, top Britain chess Grand Master and former World Champion Challenger, Nigel Short is set to arrive in Nigeria for chess related programme.

 

According to the President of Nigeria Chess Federation (NCF), Mr Lekan Adeyemi, the visit to Nigeria is coming under the auspices of Kasparov Chess Foundation Africa whom over the years, have had chess developmental projects on the continent of Africa.

 

During the four-day visit to Lagos, the grand master will have training, exhibition programmes with chess players and stakeholders and general promotion of the game in the country.

 

Grand Master Short, at the peak of his career, was ranked third-rated player in the world and is currently the only active chess player over the age of 50. As a global ambassador of the game, he has visited more than 100 countries, both playing and promoting the game.

 

Published in local

 

Details are emerging from the closed-door security meeting convened by President Muhammadu BUHARI at the State House in Abuja yesterday.

 

The Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, has revealed some of the issues that were raised at the meeting in a statement signed by his Public Relations Officer, Colonel Tukur Gusau.

 

According to a copy of the statement obtained by our correspondent, the Defence Minister is reported to have raised alarm over incessant killings and kidnappings by armed bandits across Nigeria.

 

Mansur Dan-Ali particularly made reference to the wave of criminal activities in the North-West, which he said was becoming alarming and worrisome.

 

Dan-Ali specifically mentioned the situation along the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway as a source of concern due to the frequent incidence of mass kidnappings of travellers in recent times.

 

He also underscored the upsurge in incidents of security concern in Zamfara State, characterized with killings and kidnappings around Anka, Maru, Kaura Namoda and Talata Mafara local government areas.

 

In the North-Central states, the Defence Minister observed that incidents of clashes between armed herdsmen and farmers in Benue and Taraba states have reduced considerably.

 

He said several arrests have been made in connection with the killings and destruction of properties, while in the North-East, the Boko Haram Terrorists activities have been contained, resulting in significant improvement in security in the Zone.

 

For the South-South and South-West geopolitical zones, the Defence Minister noted that illegal oil bunkering, militancy and pipeline vandalism were on a decline in the Niger Delta.

 

He attributed the feat to efforts by the Federal Government to engage stakeholders in dialogue, while security operatives deployed under “Operation AWATSE” in the South-West, have continued to dislodge militants and pipeline vandals from Arepo and other areas in Lagos and Ogun waterside.

 

In conclusion, the Defence Minister suggested to the National Security Council the need for Defence Headquarters to launch a Joint Task Force Operation similar to Operation SAFE HAVEN in Jos to cover Zamfara and Birnin Gwari axis of Kaduna State.

 

He also called for the suspension of implementation of Anti-Open Grazing Law in the affected states, while at the same time stepping up negotiations for safe routes for herders as a means to reduce tension in the areas.

 

Furthermore; the Security Council was informed about the urgent need for the Nigeria Police and Department of State Services to prosecute all the suspects arrested in the states.

 

The council also discussed the need to hasten the establishment of a National Commission on the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons as well as ways to engage diplomatic channels to ensure that United States sanctions do not affect Nigeria.

Published in World News

Coach of Gambia’s senior women’s natonal team Mariama Sowe believes the Queen Scorpions have all it takes to defeat Nigeria in the first leg of their Ghana 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations qualifiers today.

 

The Gambians who are currently camped at the Gambia Football Federation Hotel at Yundum eliminated Burkina Faso in the previous round while champions Super Falcons drew a bye.

 

“We have been going on with our tactical approach to this game against Nigeria and we are confident that we can get a good performance and the desired result,” Sowe told cafonline.

 

Nigeria will host the return leg on Monday, 11 June 2018 in Lagos with the winner making it to the tournament in Ghana come November.

 

Published in local

 

The Rivers State Government has filed fresh charges against former Leader of the State House of Assembly, Chidi Lloyd.

 

The state government is accusing Chidi Lloyd of malicious damage of the Mace of the State Assembly and affray, which is the legal term for fighting or public disturbance

 

According to the charges filed by the Director of Public Prosecutions in the Ministry of Justice, Ibikiri Otorobio, Chidi Lloyd is alleged to have violated sections of the State Criminal Code.

 

(Photo Credits: Newsghana.com.gh)

The fresh matter is in connection to an incident in the State Assembly chamber on 9th of July, 2013 during which a fight broke out among some members of the legislature.

 

You will recall that Chidi Lloyd was previous accused of attempted murder over the incident of nearly five years ago, which the state government decided to discontinue last December.

 

Our correspondent Victor Ezeama reports that fifteen witnesses have been lined up to testify against Chidi Lloyd, including Michael Chinda, Martins Amaewhule, Victor Ihunwo and Kelechi Nworgu who are members of the State Assembly.

Published in World News

The Sixty-First Meeting of the United Nations World Tourism Organization Commission for Africa has opened in Abuja.

 

 

The three-day meeting is being attended by over five hundred delegates, including twenty-six African Ministers of Tourism, the Secretary-General of the UN tourism agency.

 

 

President Muhammadu Buhari welcomed guests to the meeting with a charge to consider Nigeria as their second home.

 

 

President Buhari’s message was delivered by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, who declared that the Administration was offering attractive incentives for investors in the tourism sector.

 

 

Mustapha said the incentives include minimum tariff on imported tourism equipment, amusement park equipment and materials for hotel construction and furnishing.

 

 

Others are dedicated transportation for tour operators and equipment for restaurants not manufactured in Nigeria, as well as work permit for foreign workers with specialized skills within the industry and land at concessionary rate by state governments to tourism investors.

 

 

For his part; the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said hosting the tourism event in Nigeria was a testimony to the achievements of the Buhari Administration, especially in the area of security.

 

 

Published in World News

ARMED ROBBERS ROCK OMUOKO-ALUU

Tuesday, 05 June 2018 08:05

The people of Omuoko-Aluu in Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State have cried out for help over the spate of attacks by criminals in the area.

 

Some concerned residents of Omuoko-Aluu yesterday took their complaint to the office of the IGP Monitoring Unit of the Nigeria Police Force to seek police intervention.

 

Some of the respondents said the area has been recording increasing number of attacks by armed robbers who snatch tricycles, motorcycles, mobile phones and other personal belongings of residents.

 

In his response; a senior officer of the IGP Monitoring Unit, assured residents of Omuoko-Aluu of the commitment of the elite police unit to ensure the safety of lives and properties.

 

The police officer in turn requested the cooperation of the residents, just as he confirmed the arrest of one Joshua, also known as Seven Star General, in connection with robbery attacks around Omuoko-Aluu.

 

Published in World News

SENATOR UCHENDU BLASTS GOV. WIKE

Tuesday, 05 June 2018 07:33

The Senator representing Rivers East Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Andrew Uchendu, has asked the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, to stop raising false alarms that could trigger instability in the country.

Senator Uchendu, in a statement urged Governor Wike  to rather engage the Federal Government with facts on behalf of Rivers people when the need arises.

 

The Rivers East Senator advised the governor to always consult with the three Senators and the thirteen Members of the Federal House of Representatives representing Rivers State in the National Assembly, to ascertain the appropriateness of the type of information that he pushes out to the public.

 

The senator urged Rivers people to discountenance an allegation by the Governor Wike  that the Federal Government was planning to deny Rivers State its balance of the Paris Club Debt refund describing it as baseless and untrue.

 

He said it is not the habit of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to deny any individual or group their constitutional entitlements.

Published in World News

Page 1 of 2

Subscribe to Newsletter

Recent Twitter Posts

Facebook